The Rode iXY stereo microphone attachment is one of the easiest ways to turn your iPad or iPhone into a mobile recording device – as much as I hate to admit it. Anyone that knows me, also knows I’m not the biggest fan of Apple’s/Macs or any product with a lowercase “i” in front of it. I’ve always been a PC guy, and am still a firm believer that you should build your own PC as the center piece of a home recording studio rather then overpaying for a Mac because someone said they’re good for music production. With that said, disregarding my own personal biased, a huge majority of people have Apple products and recording with an iOS device is becoming more and more popular. A mobile iOS recording setup might not be a replacement for a full fledged recording studio, but it’s definitely a great way to at least lay down some groundwork for recording projects in a portable and efficient way.
X/Y Stereo Recording – The Portable Solution
RODE’s built a great reputation with many of their popular stereo microphones, and the iXY provides that same quality in a more portable package. The near-coincident 90 degree configuration of the RODE iXY removes the issues of phase cancellation, allowing you to get a true stereo recording without worrying too much about mic placement. I was honestly amazed by the sound quality of recordings from this tiny little $200 microphone.
RODE iXY iOS Microphone Attachment Features
- The integrated pair of matched small diaphragm condenser mic capsules can pic up the nuances of your audio source, while still remaining small and portable.
- The simplicity of this add-on microphone can turn your iOS device into a stereo recording device without any technical knowledge – Just plug it in.
- Realistic stereo imaging is easily obtained by the fixed XY configuration.
- With the RODE Rec app, you can achieve high-fidelity Analog to Digital conversion, recording in 24-bit depth / 96 kHz sample rate resolution.
- The simple installation requires you only to plug the microphone into your iOS device via standard 30-pin jack
- Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, Apple Lightning, iPad 1, 2 and 3, +more.
Final Conclusion on The RODE iXY Mic Attachment
Even with my biased towards Apple devices, I’ve been very impressed with this product. Luckily my girlfriend has numerous iOS devices that I could test it on, or I wouldn’t have been able to even do this review. As with most RODE products, I’d recommend this – especially if you’re already using or plan to incorporate a mobile iOS recording setup into your workflow. If you do decide to grab this awesome little gadget, you are going to want to install the RODE Rec app to enable recording in 24bit/96kHz res. All the new “modern” recording gear that’s been coming out lately has been quite intriguing, and I can’t wait to see what RODE puts out in the near future.